Services registered financial service providers (FSPs) provide

Services you must be registered to provide

When you register as an FSP or update your details on the Financial Service Providers Register (FSPR), you must tell us which services you provide to clients and customers.

Confirming the services you provide

When you apply online to register as an FSP, you need to select all the services that you intend to provide soon after you're registered from a list that's part of the application form. After you're registered you must keep the list of services you provide up to date on the FSPR.

Registered services

Services that FSPs must declare when they register come under Section 5 of the Financial Service Providers (Registration and Dispute Resolution) Act 2008. The legislation provides a list of the services.

Licensed services

You must be licensed by the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) or the Reserve Bank of New Zealand to provide some financial services. You can apply to register on the FSPR before you're licensed to provide those services, although they won't show on your registration until the FMA or Reserve Bank confirm that you're licensed.

We can't complete your registration on the FSPR before you're licensed, if your FSP:

  • only provides licensed services
  • is a bank — all banks must be registered with the Reserve Bank before they register on the FSPR.

Financial Markets Authority (FMA) licensing

The FMA licenses a range of financial services, and authorises financial advisers and Qualifying Financial Entities (QFEs).

Licensed market services

You need to be licensed by the FMA to provide financial services — for example, if you're:

  • the manager of a registered scheme (other than a restricted scheme)
  • an independent trustee of a restricted scheme
  • a Discretionary Investment Management Service (DIMS) provider
  • a derivatives issuer
  • a peer-to-peer lending service
  • a crowd-funding service.

Authorised financial providers

You apply to the FMA to become:

  • an authorised financial adviser (AFA)
  • a qualifying financial entity (QFE).

You apply for authorisation on the FSPR. The FMA then uses the FSPR to review your application.

Reserve Bank registration and licensing

You need to apply to the Reserve Bank of New Zealand to be:

All help topics

Using the Financial Service Providers Register (FSPR) 5 guides

Get help to search the FSPR, upload documents, set up your online services account and find out what to do if you forget your RealMe® username or password.

Dispute Resolution Schemes (DRSs) 2 guides

If you provide financial services to retail clients, you must join a DRS within 10 working days of registering and keep your membership details up to date on the Financial Service Providers Register (FSPR).

Paying fees and levies 3 guides

If you're a financial service provider (FSP), you pay fees for some transactions, including registration. You also pay levies to the Financial Markets Authority (FMA). There are several ways to pay.

Applying to provide licensed services 6 guides

You can apply to become an authorised financial adviser (AFA) or Qualifying Financial Entity (QFE), or be licensed to provide other financial services. Find out who to apply to.

Filing an annual confirmation 3 guides

To remain registered as a financial service provider (FSP), every year you must confirm your FSP's details and services. Find out how to file your confirmation online or change the month you do it.

Managing your registration as a financial service provider (FSP) 6 guides

All FSPs must keep their details up to date. We may deregister your FSP if you don't comply, but you can reregister in some circumstances. You can also deregister voluntarily.

Managing your online services account 6 guides

Your FSPR online services account allows you to keep your FSP's contact and payment details up to date. From your account dashboard you can view and manage outstanding applications and tasks.