Find out how to complete an online application to register on the Financial Service Providers Register (FSPR) as an individual FSP. At the same time you can apply to be an Authorised Financial Adviser (AFA) through the Financial Markets Authority (FMA).
After you start your application you can save and exit it at any time. You can find it again in My Unfinished Business on your dashboard.
You can amend your application before you submit it, but you can't withdraw it after it's been submitted to us.
Before you start
Before you apply:
- search the FSPR to make sure there's no existing registration for your FSP
- gather information for your application.
You pay the following amounts to register an individual FSP:
- an application fee of $300 (plus GST)
- an FMA levy of $460 (plus GST) and,
- $35 (plus GST) to cover the cost of your criminal history check, unless you've undergone a successful check within the last 36 months.
If you're also applying to be an Authorised Financial Adviser (AFA), you pay a registration fee of $995.56 (plus GST).
Completing your application
To apply for registration you need to have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Financial Service Providers Register (FSPR).
Log in and follow these steps.
- From the Do it now menu, choose Register an FSP, then on the next screen choose Individual.
- Complete the application form using the information you've gathered, including:
- your contact details including addresses, and trading name, if applicable
- the month you'll file your annual confirmation
- the financial services you intend to provide
- arrangements for your Dispute Resolution Scheme, if applicable.
- If you're applying to be an AFA, select Financial Markets Authority and complete the application fields, including:
- the scope of your services
- declaration of your good character
- your testimonials and CV — select Browse or Choose file to upload the documents
- information about your qualifications, and
- confirmation that you're the person applying and have read the AFA Authorisation guide.
- Select Review to check the information you've entered.
- Read the declaration about disqualification and select the confirmation option that applies to you. Select Continue. The status of your declaration changes to Confirmed.
- Select Submit and pay. The relevant fees are listed. Choose a payment option and complete the tax invoice details and other information.
- Select Process payment.
How we process your application
After we receive your application, we carry out a criminal history check. This takes 2 to 5 working days. If it's successful we send you confirmation that your registration is complete.
If you're also applying to be an Authorised Financial Adviser (AFA)
After your registration as an FSP is completed, we submit your application to be an AFA to the FMA for approval.
The FMA reviews your application to decide whether or not you meet their requirements for authorisation. During the process, if they have any questions regarding your application, they'll contact you directly.
The FMA will notify you if you've been granted authorisation. We publish your status as an AFA on the FSPR and email you when this has been done.
If your application is declined, they'll write to you outlining the reasons. You'll still be a registered FSP, but not authorised. You can apply to the FMA for authorisation again at any time.
If you're providing licensed services
If you have selected any services that must be licensed by the FMA (except becoming an AFA) you need to contact them to apply for your licence.
After you're registered
After you're registered on the FSPR, you need to:
- if applicable, provide us with details of your Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS) within 10 working days of being registered, and
- file an annual confirmation with us every year.
If you don't do this we can deregister your FSP.