You can ask us to remove your registration as an FSP if you're no longer providing or able to offer financial services.
Who can apply for deregistration
You can apply online to deregister as an individual FSP or on behalf of an entity if:
- you're no longer in the business of providing a financial service, or
- circumstances disqualify you from continuing to be registered — for example, because of bankruptcy.
You apply for deregistration under Section 18(2) of the Financial Service Providers (Registration and Dispute Resolution) Act 2008.
Authority to apply
When you apply to deregister, you must have authority to do so. You must submit a Voluntary Deregistration Authority Form if:
- you're an employer applying to deregister an individual FSP — the form confirms that the individual FSP has given you authority to apply for their deregistration
- you're applying to deregister an entity — the form must be signed by someone authorised to sign on behalf of the FSP, preferably a director.
If you're an individual FSP, you already have authority and can deregister — you don't need to submit the form.
If you provide authorised or licensed services
The date you deregister your FSP must be at least 5 days in the future if you're licensed by the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) or the Reserve Bank to provide financial services. You'll no longer be authorised to provide those services after we deregister your FSP so we need this time to advise the FMA or the Reserve Bank of your deregistration.
How to apply online
To apply for deregistration, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the FSPR
- authority to act for your FSP.
Log in, search for your FSP and follow these steps.
- From your My tools dropdown menu, select Request voluntary deregistration.
- Enter the date your deregistration takes affect. This must be at least 5 working days in the future if you provide licensed or authorised financial services.
- Provide further information about your request to deregister in the Comments field.
- If you're applying on behalf of an FSP, select Browse or Choose file to upload your Voluntary Deregistration Authority Form.
- Select Submit to send us your request to deregister.
How we process your application
We process your deregistration request within 2 working days and email you to tell you the outcome. If your request is accepted we:
- email you to tell you when we have deregistered your FSP
- place a public notice of deregistration against your FSP on the Financial Service Providers Register (FSPR).